At the beginning of this month, I told you all that I planned to participate in a mental health challenge for this month. I thought since we’re almost finished with the month, I’d give you an update on how it’s going. Today is day 24 of the challenge and I have missed two of the items. (I found this on pinterest a while ago.)
What have I done? In order, here goes:
- Talked to my best friend about all the things. We’ve been friends for almost 25 years.
- My happy place is my real life with less things and more life, more fun, and more getting along.
- I unplugged for an hour by reading a bunch of magazines from my giant stack by my fireplace.
- My friend date was a Google Duo date with my bestie – this is way better than a phone call!
- Exercise – I started a 30 days of yoga series. I got interrupted last week and resumed yesterday. My body feels fantastic.
- Go to bed one hour early – yay!
- Pay it forward – We placed a pickup order from the grocery store and dropped it off at our new church for the people affected by Hurricanes in Honduras. I don’t know what better way to pay it forward than to give to those who have lost everything.
- Better language. In tough times I still struggle with a potty mouth. I’m a work in progress.
- I did a brain dump. This is pretty cool! In about 30 minutes, I filled a notebook page with all the things that float inside my brain. I’ll do this more often.
- Daily walk. Rufus gets his walk every day. Rain, snow, ice, and heat he gets a walk. When it’s too cold or too hot, he gets a short walk. But, he won’t let me forget that he gets a walk.
- Happy playlist. I love it! Every time I listen to it, I can’t help but smile. This is the best. I’m sharing my list below. I found all the songs on YouTube.
- Do a favor. My mom asked me to serve meals to the people who live in her building for their ‘socially distanced community dinner’. I said yes, I’m certain I will get so much positive energy from this. Most of the folks are older and I can’t wait to say Hi!
- I revised my to-do list and gave some of it to my husband. I don’t know if that’s what the creator meant but that’s what happened.
- Plan a getaway. We are planning our spring vacation right now and it really does lift the heart.
- Say no. This is hard because I want to help, but I did it. Twice even.
- Last night, we watched Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving and Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin. It was such a reminder of being a child and watching Saturday morning cartoons.
- Listen. My friend had a good go and I’m a good listener.
- Breathing exercise. I’ve got a couple guided videos saved on YouTube.
- I love to eat and we’ve been eating at home so much more during Covid. So this was easy.
- I have colored my thankful prints to keep track during this season. It’s freeing to think of nothing or very little.
- New mantra: Change your mind, change your life.
- Get rid of things in a closet. We don’t have anything overstuffed in our closet. We’ve been doing this for a while. But we’re working on our storage situation ongoing, so I think it counts.
- Chocolate. Yes! Hot Chocolate and Christmas Movies!
- Work on a hobby/Get a hobby. I’m a crafter. This past weekend, I did a bunch of scrapbooking on my 2020/Covid book. It’s so unreal remembering the empty grocery stores, lock down, masking up, social distancing, and the other craziness that we’ve all gone through. It’s just amazing I don’t want to forget it. It’s also our first year as a family and we’re up and down every day and I’m memorializing that too.
How has my perspective changed? First, I pay more attention to what I need and want. Second, I’ve decided to take care of myself in these tiny ways more often. For example Sunday, we usually Sabbath and I make dinner. However, this week I scrapbooked for a couple hours after church, we watched a movie together, and we made dinner together while prepping lunches for the week. It puts us together, shares the load, and helps us bond a little. So much easier and more fun too. Last, I’m happier! Which is my life goal! Who doesn’t want to be happier?!
Also, I’m listening to this happiness playlist on repeat. It’s amazing. Just head over to your music provider open a new list, name it Happy, and start adding. Here’s the list:
Why does it matter? Because I matter. Because you matter. And I’d like to just stop #killingit #doingitall #hustle and on and on. Can’t we just live our lives without a thousand goals? Can’t I just have hot chocolate and watch Christmas movies in June?
This year life has been really different. I burned out and burned down and struggled to recover through the first half of this year. I realized that I was apologetic about taking the time to recover. I felt like I had to justify and explain to people who were virtual strangers. I felt guilty – like I was lazy because I wasn’t doing enough.
I started to break down because I was trying to run our entire house, coordinate three lives, write a book, launch a website, close my office, and I couldn’t keep up. Before I left legal work, I coordinated a wedding, began closing an office, worked full time, and ran our house. I thought that’s what my job was.
It’s not. It’s our job. My husband has his tasks, my daughter has her tasks. I have my tasks. That’s our job. It’s not all me. I can place a grocery order and my husband can pick it up and put it away. I can load and press start on the dishwasher and my daughter can dry them and put them away. It’s better to share responsibility this way.
I’m a mom, but I’m not a super hero. I’m learning to stop trying to be one.
What about you? Did you do begin a mental health challenge this month? What does your November look like so far? How is your season shaping up? Is it full of #SuperHeroLife or is it full of #RelaxingByTheFire? I hope you choose rest, self love, and peace. Leave a comment below, I’d love to hear from you.
Hey, it’s nice to see you, type your email address above and you’ll get my posts in your email box. Hope you see you there!